Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I love Tuesday nights

Today has been a really good day.  There was nothing really big that happened, but just lots of good little things.  It all started early this morning when all 4 of us at my apartment were in the kitchen at 8:00 am having the most amazing time together.  That started the day out right!
When Wendi saw that I pulled my camera out she was not too excited, especially because she had not showered yet!  But she was a good sport still was willing to take a picture...and she looks beautiful too!
I also had time to do some homework before going to class and that felt good.  After class, when I got back to my apartment, I found Steph laying on the couch.  She has the cold that is going around.  It was her turn to make dinner tonight, and even though we tried to convince her not to, she just wouldn't back down.  So this is the amazing picture I captured as she was cooking:
Tuesday night is something that I always look forward to.  I am a "helper" in the Special Needs Institute class.  I don't really like using the word helper because they help me more than I could ever help them.  They are the most amazing people ever!  I am always reminded to be more like them when I am around them.  They are as little children and they have so much faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  Tonight we discussed the story in Abraham 1 where the people became very wicked and began worshipping idols.  We read Abraham 1:11 as a class.
Now, this priest had offered upon this altar three virgins at one time, who were the daughters of Onitah, one of the royal descent directly from the loins of Ham.  These virgins were offered up because of their virtue; they would not bow down to worship the gods of wood or of stone, therefore they were killed upon this altar, and it was done after the manner of the Egyptians.
As I pondered upon these words, I was struck by the virgins who were willing to die rather than worship something or someone other than Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father.  They were so virtuous, so faithful, so courageous.  Suddenly it hit me that I was surrounded by many others, just as virtuous, faithful, and courageous as these virgins.  All that we sometimes refer to as "Special Needs" are just as amazing of examples as those virgins.  I look up to them.  I love them.  I hope to be more like them.  And I consider it a privilege and blessing to be able to associate with them weekly.  I feel like I am being tutored by them.  I know tonight what I can do better tomorrow and I hope I can improve until one day, in the far future, I can be more like them, and ultimately more like the Savior.

1 comment: