Wednesday, October 19, 2011

3 Days of Miracles

The long awaited and anticipated appointment with the rheumatologist/internist in Salt Lake came.  When the appointment was made a while ago, it seemed like an eternity away!  But time flew by, as it always does, and I found myself not so excited to go to the appointment.   I was a little confused because this appointment was something I looked forward to ever since I got my first test results back in July.  I don't know if it was because I didn't want to hear what the doctor was going to tell me, but I just wasn't excited.  Heavenly Father was very aware of me, my situation, and my feelings, so He made the days leading up to the appointment just fabulous!  I really feel like He was pouring miracles out upon me.  He is so loving!  I was planning on leaving Logan on Tuesday afternoon after class, but when I received an e-mail on Saturday from Elder DeMass, one of the elders that I served with on my mission, that he would be hosting a FHE at his home in Murray because Benjamin and Broeder Peschier are here from the Netherlands, I couldn't help but try to arrange things so that I could make it home Monday night!  I was a little stressed with all of the homework I knew needed to be done before I could head out, but Monday morning I witnessed my first miracle as I was able to get lesson plans written and mid-terms completed in just a number of hours.  I was on the road by 1:45!  It was so good to be home and the first thing I did with my mom was visit my Grandma and Grandpa B.  Oh, how I love them!  That night, before going to the FHE, Brooke, Lincoln and Carter came over to visit.  My camera was out and Carli captured the many faces of Carter.  This was the second miracle...don't the pictures just make you smile!
This is my favorite!  I love that he only has four front teeth!
At 8:00 I went to Elder DeMass' home and found some of my most favorite people there!  First of all, Benjamin and Broeder Peschier were there!  That was amazing to have Nederlanders here in Utah!  And then to be surrounded by so many previous companions and missionaries...it doesn't get better than that!  We had a wonderful little testimony meeting together and then took some time laughing and sharing some of our favorite mission memories with each other.  The DeMass family had to kick us out at 11 because we were enjoying ourselves so much!  This was miracle number three!
Miracle four.  On Tuesday morning I got to go visiting with my mom and Kathy.  We visited two of my favorite people in the ward: Ione Hymas and Elaine Jones.  I am so thankful that growing up, my parents would take us around to the elderly and widowed people in the ward on Sunday afternoon to visit.  Ever since then, I have had such a love and respect for those people.  When I was 14 I decided to visit Ione on a weekly basis as part of a Young Women's value project.  I thought that I would be able to serve and help her, but she is the one who served me.  She is now 93 and still amazes me to this day!  I love her.
Tuesday evening I experienced miracle number five.  We took dinner over to my grandparents home and ate with them.  I love every minute that I get to spend with them!  My grandpa shared a bunch of stories from his childhood.  Those are always fun stories to hear!

Miracle six.  This morning we headed to Dr. Anderson's office.  The appointment was at 9:30.  Things went very well.  He did diagnose me with Mixed Connective Tissue Disease/Mixed Autoimmune Disease. It wasn't too much of a shock because Kelly's brother-in-law, who was doing his residency with a rheumatologist, predicted that would be my diagnosis because of my test results and symptoms.  It is a mixture of lupus, scleroderma, and polymyositis.  The cause of it is unknown but they think it is usually genetically linked or sets-in from a viral infection.  It is something that I will have for the rest of my life, but the doctor was very positive about the treatments and knowledge now available.  Since my autoimmune disease is pretty much attacking my own body, my organs are most at risk, specifically my lungs.  So, right after the appointment, the doctor sent me to get my chest x-rayed and my eyes checked.  The chest x-ray is to see how my lungs look now, and the eye check-up is needed prior to putting me on a medication that he wants me to take.  I had to get my eyes dilated so I got to wear these beauties, and I got my own picture of my eyeballs.  Never thought I would have that picture to put in my scrapbook!  I will go back to the doc in three weeks to see how things look.  I consider it a miracle that we are going somewhere with this now!
 There were so many other miracles that took place while I was home.  Cafe Rio with Brooke, phone calls from friends and family, letters!  I got so emotional this afternoon because I was just overwhelmed with gratitude.  I am surrounded by so many who take such good care of me.  My mom even took my car to get the tire patched this afternoon just so I could take a nap!  Thank you for being such a support to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment