Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sisters

This weekend made me really appreciate my sisters even more.  Yes, I am referring to my actual sisters but I am also including all of those that I call sisters: in-laws, roommates, aunts, cousins, friends, companions, teachers, leaders, friends, grandmothers, mothers...pretty much any women in my life.  The thing that sparked this feeling of gratitude: my sister Brooke coming to spend the weekend with me.  Her husband texted me a few weeks ago and asked if he could surprise her with a weekend getaway to Logan while he watched their two little boys at home.  I couldn't have been more excited to have her come...what a treat for me!  She arrived at about 5:30 on Friday night and the chatting and catching-up began.  Even though we talk at least once everyday, we always have more to talk about!  We went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse and then hit the mall.  We came back to my apartment at 9:30 and played the Michael Jackson dance game on the Wii with Tish, Wendi, and Carolynn....AMAZING!  We danced until we were dead tired but we were determined to stay up until 11:11 because it was 11-11-11 so we watched Clue.  That movie is a little crazy but quite entertaining.  Brooke pulled a Sharp-special on us and fell asleep.  By the time the movie ended and we were settled into bed it was 12:30.  Maybe not the smartest decision to stay up so late, but totally worth it!  We slept in until 8:45 and then just stayed in bed talking for a while.  After getting ready and eating some Zoom for breakfast, we headed out the door at 11.  We made stops at both Wal-Marts to pick up some Christmas pajamas that my mom is giving to her grandkids and then we went to do our own shopping.  It was so much fun!  We stopped at Cafe Rio for some lunch and a tres leches (mmmmm) and then came back to my apartment to play Michael Jackson just a little longer.  I think that we were both in denial so we put off her leaving for as long as we could.  We just kept talking and talking!  At 5:30 we decided that it was probably a good time for her to get going because the snow had stopped and the road were clear.
I just couldn't have been more thankful for this weekend and the time I was able to spend with her!  I know that Derek's purpose in planning it all was so that she could get some time away but I think it ended up being more for me than her!  Last night as I was reading the conference talk, "You Matter to Him", by President Uchtdorf, these words stood out to me because they reminded me of Brooke and all of the other "sisters" in my life:
God knows that some of the greatest souls who have ever lived are those who will never appear in the chronicles of history.  They are the blessed, humble souls who emulate the Savior's example and spend the days of their lives doing good.
Sisters, I want to know that I love you.  Thank you for enriching and blessing my life through your continual goodness.  You truly are the hands of the Savior here on the earth.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment