Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Drive


I never really look forward to driving to and from Logan.  I always get a little sleepy and I just don't enjoy driving very much.  Tonight I put off leaving my home to come back to Logan until 8 because I really just didn't want to make the drive.  For the first half of the drive I made a few phone calls and that was really great but after that I got a little bored and I was just ready to be in Logan already.  I know, I am a little impatient.  As I searched for some music to listen to for the rest of the drive I found my Josh Groban Christmas CD.  I popped it in and turned the volume up.  The tears started flowing.  I don't know what it is about beautiful Christmas music but it just makes me emotional.  It brings feelings of joy and warmth and happiness as well as thoughts of those who are less fortunate than I am or who are suffering at this time.  It makes me want to give everything I can to help all of them and yet I know that is impossible.  Sometimes I can start to get a little down because I am so small and I can't do much, and then my thoughts are turned to the Savior Jesus Christ, the center of this season.  Yes, I may not be able to help very many, but He can help all.  That is possible because of His intimate and infinite Atonement.  What I can do is share my testimony of Him with others.  I was reminded of that during the lesson that I heard today in Relief Society about doing and being.  I think that we so often focus on what we do in the day that we forget to focus on who we are becoming.  The sister who taught the lesson encouraged us not only to look at our to-do list everyday, but also at our to-be list.  She shared the "Be's" from President Hinckley's "Way to Be!" book:

  • Be Grateful
  • Be Smart
  • Be Involved
  • Be Clean
  • Be True
  • Be Positive
  • Be Humble
  • Be Still
  • Be Prayerful
Although I wish I could DO everything, I know that I can't.  I know that it is impossible for me to help all of those who are struggling at this time.  I know that my time is limited as well as my means.  However, I know that I can BECOME better by being grateful, smart, involved, clean, true, positive, humble, still, and prayerful.  Instead of giving one gift to the Savior this year, I am going to offer Him my heart by trying to be more like Him.  In so doing, I hope to also help someone in some small way.  Who I want to become will determine what I do.  The clip that I included is one that I fell in love with at Christmas time last year when I was in the Netherlands.  When I first became very sick I spent a transfer day at Caroline Navarro's home waiting for my new companion.  She shared this beautiful song with me.  "Yet what I have I can give Him, give Him my heart."  I am thankful that the drive was actually a blessing.  It gave me time to reflect and think and set some new goals.  I am thankful that the Spirit can speak to us wherever we are, even if it is during a drive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment