Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Newest Addition

I wish I was talking about a baby or something way awesome like that as the newest addition but, no, just a new project completed for my apartment:)  I thrive off of staying busy and so projects are a good thing for me.  They relieve stress and make me feel somewhat accomplished.  Last Thursday I made a quick stop at DI on my way home from work and after a little searching and $20 spent I came home with 16 picture frames and a way cool old book.  I absolutely LOVE the hymn "More Holiness Give Me" so I used it as the foundation of the project.  I tore out some of the pages of the book, downloaded some amazing vintage fonts, printed the phrases from the song on the book pages, spray-painted the frames black, and arranged them on the wall (all with the help of my Mom)...and this is how it turned out:
Arranging the picture before hanging them

One of the finished frames with the BEST phrase of the song.  I love how the pages from the book tell the story of the life of Christ...gives it that much more meaning!

The finished product.  I wish I could have caught it from a different angle but this was the best I could get in the hall:)
 It was really a lot of fun and now I am looking for my next project.  I am open to any ideas!  You may be wondering how I am finding time to do projects when I am teaching kindergarten and taking graduate classes.  Oh, I just dropped the graduate classes:)  Last week was kind of hectic and caused me to do some reflecting, major praying, studying, and pondering.  I started that medication last week for the muscle inflammation and I thought that since it was a steroid it would boost my immune system. WRONGO!  Not even 24 hours after starting it I came down with a nasty cold.  Come to find out, the steroid provides things that your body would normally produce so the immune system is slowed down. Good to know.  It was also my first week of teaching all 20 students and assessing each one, as well as starting my classes.  I started to feel a little overwhelmed.  I made the classic pros-cons list and found that the main reason that I want to get my Masters is to become a better teacher.  It is not about the pay or the extra letters after my name.  I realized that I wouldn't be the best teacher by just getting by while teaching kindergarten and focusing most of my time on my other classes.  Maybe I will start graduate courses again next semester when I feel I have a little more of a handle on things...or maybe in a year...or maybe in five years.  I guess it just depends on when it feels right again.  So my plans changed and I am totally stoked about it!  This semester is totally focused on teaching, my calling, improving health, getting to know others better, family history work, projects, service, etc.!  Oh, yes!  I did sign up for a family history class tonight and I am beyond excited for it!  If any of you are genealogists or trying to become one, let's be buddies!  And remember, projects are more fun to do together!

No comments:

Post a Comment