Thursday, September 29, 2011

I am better because of her...

On Tuesday morning when I woke up I saw that I had received a message on Facebook.  It was from Hellen Spijkerman, one of the dear members from the Netherlands.  She informed me that early Tuesday morning Sia van Andel had passed away.  For just a moment I was sad but the sadness was swept away as memories of her came flooding into my mind.  I still remember meeting her for the first time on my first Sunday in the Netherlands.  She was a member of the Zwolle branch and I was drawn to her because of the light she radiated.  I don't think I have ever met someone so kind and sincere in my life.  She was so patient with my Dutch, and although I could hardly say anything, she still loved me and welcomed me.  Over the next six months serving in that city, I learned from her selfless and Christlike service.  She was always doing missionary work with those around her.  She found joy in the gospel and she wanted others to experience that joy.  She would always come up to me at the end of Sacrament Meeting and say, "Komen jullie patat en ijsjes eten?!"  That means, "Are you coming to eat fries and ice cream with us?" in Dutch.  They had a family tradition that every Sunday after church they would eat fries and ice cream and she always invited us.  They lived an hour away from the church so they would drive us to their house, feed us, and then make sure we were at the station in time to catch the train back.  I always felt at home in their house.  She always took such good care of us.  For Sinter Klaas she hid presents in our boots that we had taken off by the door.  She invited us to dinner at their home on Second Christmas Day.  On every other occasion at their home, as we were getting ready to leave, she would be running around the house gathering things up for us.  She would fill a bag with juice, fresh fruits and vegetables, and some goodies.  The picture below is of Zuster Wieland and I eating the delicious kiwis she had given us.  She also asked us to bring her a copy of the Book of Mormon each week so she could write her conversion story and testimony on the inside cover, and then she would give it back the following week so we could give it away. She will never know how many have been blessed through her testimony! She loved her family and she loved the Lord.  She was loved by everyone who knew her.  I was so blessed to keep in touch with her throughout my mission.  Receiving a card or letter from her was a huge blessing!
 When I went back to the Netherlands with my parents, Sia invited us to come out to their house so that she could take us to the butterfly and orchid gardens.  We didn't want to pass that opportunity up so we made the hour drive to Emmeloord.  When we arrived we found out that she was sick in bed with a really bad headache.  We didn't want to bother her but when she found out that we were there, she refused not to spend the day with us.  That day was one of the highlights of our trip and my parents fell in love with Sia just as I had.  When we left her home after a day at the gardens and lunch, she showered us with gifts.  I will always cherish the Holland jacket she gave me.  It was so hard to say goodbye, especially because I didn't know when I would see her again!  But later that week we attended the temple with some members in Den Haag and she was there!  It was a tender mercy to see her again!  I will never forget how beautiful she looked all dressed in white.  I didn't think that would be the last time I would see her in this life, but what a sweet memory it is.  I can imagine that our reunion will be much like how it felt in the temple...full of love and joy.  A few weeks after we arrived home from the Netherlands, Hellen informed me that Sia had a brain tumor and the doctors only gave her a few months to live.  That was why she had such a bad headache when we had gone to visit her.  I was devastated, especially that one so pure would have to deal with something so horrible.  But I knew that Heavenly Father loved her and was watching over her and her family.  It is sad that she is gone, and I can't even imagine what it must be like for her husband or those who call her mom or grandma, but I know that we can all agree that we are better because of her.  I am so thankful that Heavenly Father arranged my mission so perfectly that I could meet her and get to know her so well.  I know that my parents feel the same way about our trip back and that we were so privileged to spend a day with her.  I love her so much and I know that she is continuing to bless the lives of others.  How thankful I am for the Plan of Salvation, to know that I will see her and all other loved ones again!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have known her as well as you did. She still left a lasting impression on me. Gosh, I want to see you sometime and really catch up. Ik hou van je lievert!

    ReplyDelete