Saturday, August 13, 2011

Home

The past couple of days we have had the Buchanan Family Reunion.  It has been held at our house for the last few years and it really ends up being the highlight of the summer.  But the preparation is a little hefty!  My mom and I have spent every day over the past 2 months getting the yard and house ready for all 70 guests.  Washing blinds and windows, weeding, baseboards, trimming trees...lots of hard work!  At times I was a little tired of doing all of the cleaning and towards the end, as time got closer to all of the guests arriving, I found myself being a little ornery so I tried to catch myself.  I started to look for the blessings in all that I was doing and this is what I found....the place I call home.  My family has lived here for 23 years, so my whole life.  I LOVE this place!  There are so many memories here.  It is a place of love, peace, laughter, happiness, and joy.  As I started to look around at how blessed I am, my attitude automatically changed.  Here are a few of my favorite rooms with a list of little memories that come to mind:
The Entry Way
receiving guests, Christmas garland, coming up on Christmas morning, sliding down the banisters,
The Living Room
playing the piano for hours, reading a book, taking a Sunday nap, Christmas as a child, the Nativity, getting scared
Family Room
FHE, scripture study, time together, playing with toys, having family over, playing games, Just Dance, long chats, movie nights, sleepovers 
Picture Wall
remembering family and special times together
Sitting Room and Desk
doing homework, visiting with grandparents, finishing crafts and projects, the Christmas tree, warm winter nights by the fireplace
The Kitchen and Dining Room
baking and cooking with family, family get-togethers, grocery shopping, doing crafts, eating breakfast and dinner together
My Room
reading the scriptures, taking a nap with the sun shining in, Christmas eve sleepover, late night chats with Carli and Brooke,  having friends spend the night
The Yard
family reunions, jumping on the tramp, BBQs, picnics, popsicles, summer Sunday night dinners, sitting on the swing, playing on the playgrounds, campfires, riding four wheelers, building snowmen, yard work as a family
I have loved so much the past 5 months living at home.  It has been so much fun to spend so much time with my parents and Carli and Corbin, and to be so close to the rest of my family.  I love my home!  I am so thankful for all that my parents have done to make our home so special to me.

When I first moved up to school I would never refer to my apartment as "home".  I didn't want my home to be replaced.  But the longer I was up in Logan, the more it became a "home away from home" for me.  I love Logan and I love Utah State University!  The 3 years I have lived up there were some of the best years of my life and what made it so great were the people I met!  I went back up there a month ago with my Mom and Carli to get things all set up for school this fall and I truly felt like I was "home" again.  I am so excited to be back up there!
Then there is the Netherlands.  That is my "home FAR away from home"!  I remember being in the MTC and talking to one of my teachers, Brother Bond.  I asked him, "Was it hard on your mission to feel at home?  Did you really miss all of your family and friends?"  His reply really struck me and stuck with me.  He said, "The Netherlands will become your home for a few years.  And your family will just grow bigger and your friends increase."  Now I truly understand what he means!  My family was definitely not replaced on my mission but I found my Dutch family and friends who were there for me the whole time.  Coming home to my house and family and friends after my mission was such an amazing experience and it was so wonderful to see everyone and everything again.  But I miss my "home" in the Netherlands!  So....I have already made plans to go back next May after I graduate for a few weeks!

(I had pictures to add but it won't work!  They'll come!)

Anyway, with all of these thoughts about "home" I have come to the conclusion that I don't just have one.  Home is a place where I love others and I feel loved.  It is a place where I can be myself.  It is a place where I am surrounded by family and friends.  It is a place that encourages me to be a better person.  It is a place where I can live the gospel and feel the Spirit.  I am so thankful for the homes I have and the many homes I will have.

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet, and how fun to see the house you grew up in. You're in Logan now? That means we'll be close enough to hang out and do lots of baking once we make it to Ogden! Yay!

    ReplyDelete