Saturday, August 6, 2011

Cooking and Baking...I love it!

My new favorite thing to do is to cook and to bake.  I grew up always helping my mom with the cooking and the baking and I loved the time I got to spend with her because, in my mind, she is the greatest cook and baker in the world!  When I was about 18 I started to make birthday cakes for all of my nieces and nephews.  They could choose whatever they wanted as the theme of their cake and I would do my best to pull it off!
Harry Potter Cake for Ryan's 7th Birthday
 When I was on my mission my love for cooking and baking grew.  I tasted so many wonderful foods from so many different cultures and I wanted to be able to create such delectable things myself.  Because the missionary time schedule doesn't allow for much free time, I just picked up cookie baking in the morning during breakfast time and at night after we were finished with the day before going to bed at 10:30.  In my first two areas a baked a few hundred cookies but in my last area, Den Haag, the number of cookies I was producing skyrocketed!  I ended up making about 250 cookies every Sunday and for my last Sunday, Stake Conference, I baked 1600!  That was definitely a once in a lifetime thing!
250 cookies for Church in Den Haag
Birthday Cake for an amazing Young Single Adult in Den Haag, Shaila Mahabier

Well, since I have been home I have been practicing my cooking and baking skills a bit.  I am definitely a beginner but I hope to improve!  I think the best thing about cooking or baking is the way it brings people together.  I love family dinner time every night.  I love enjoying a delicious dessert with someone I love.  I love the look on my nieces or nephews face when I show up with their birthday cake.  This week I tried out a few new recipes and they were fabulous!  I'll post the links below the pictures!  Enjoy!
Coconut Chicken, Pina Colada Sauce, Garlic Mashed Potatoes,  Cheddar Biscuits, and Green Salad
Grilled Pizzas
Yummy Desserts for a Young Men/Young Women Activity

No comments:

Post a Comment