Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Receiving Gifts

Ever since President Uchtdorf's talk during the First Presidency Christmas Devotional I have not been able to stop thinking about receiving gifts.  I think that it was a beautiful message and one that need to be addressed, at least for me.  I think of the two most perfect and generous gift-givers--Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ--and how much they offer me if I will only accept it.  They offer love, forgiveness, eternal life, repentance, commandments that keep me safe and I often don't receive those gifts-most often because I don't feel like I deserve them.  They will never withhold any of those gifts from me or any of you-they want us to have them!  So the past couple of days I have tried harder to be better at receiving gifts.  Most of the gifts that I have received that I have appreciated so much have been the most simple things.  Here are a few that I would like to share

  • Family.  I love that I receive texts and phone calls from family member without fail every day.  I never tire of talking to them or hearing what they are up to.  I so appreciate their concern on my behalf and their willingness to serve me.  Here is one of the videos that I received in one of the texts this past week.  Cute little Ava is 2 and she is a doll.  There was a show on of someone that was covered in snakes.  She is just so sweet.  





  • Dutchness.  I love the Netherlands mostly because I love all of the Dutch people.  On Saturday I received the gift of going to a Sinterklaas part at Familie Koots home.  Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet came all of the way from Holland to visit us there!  I received the gift of being able to speak in the Dutch language again.  I received the gift of seeing wonderful mission friends.  I received the gift of tasting Dutch cheese and Sinterklaas goodies again.  It was a wonderful gift of a night.





  • Serving.  Service is one of the greatest gifts that I receive!  Saturday morning we had Tish's bridal shower and it was a gift to me to be able to help out with it.  It was a gift to see friends there.  It is a gift to have Tish as a friend.  I really want to be able to serve more.  The opportunities are endless.  I was reading on my mission blog today because I remember a time at the end of my mission when a member called us and asked us to serve her!  I was so excited!!!  If you want to read about the experience, you may click here.  If you want to give me a wonderful gift, allow me to serve you:)



  • Words.  One of the most wonderful gifts that I have received this week is the gift of kind words.  On Sunday we have a jar filled with paper and pens that is passed around during Relief Society to write love-filled notes to others.  After Relief Society ended I received these five wonderful notes!  They were all filled with the kindest of words-some from anonymous senders.  It maybe took them 30 seconds to write the notes but they will be cherished and remembered forever!  I also love words in texts, words on the phone, words spoken in person-I have received a lot of uplifting words this week.


  • Friends.  I have been able to spend so much time with friends and that has been a wonderful gift. I am thankful for the friends that I have had for a long time and those that I am just getting to know.  I am thankful for the gift of Family Home Evening, a delicious dinner made by Aaron, shopping and movies with friends, etc., etc., etc.  I have wonderful friends.



There are so many other gifts that I have received this week.  The gift of teaching.  The gift of a calling.  The gift of laughing.  But right now I am going to give myself the gift of sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment