Friday, December 14, 2012

The Reason for the Season

The news of the events that occurred in Connecticut this morning was awful to receive.  It seemed to hit home since it happened in an elementary school and a kindergarten teacher and her students were involved.  I think about the families, the students, the faculty and community and wonder how they will go on.  I know that because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ they will be able to.  That doesn't mean that it will be easy or quick-only that it is possible.  I wish I could do something to help or bless the life of just one of those that was involved or affected.  Right now the only thing that I can think to do directly for those people is pray.  I know that Heavenly Father loves them and is aware of their needs.  The other thing that I can think to do-and it is way indirect-is to serve and love those people who are in closer proximity.  There are plenty of people around me who are hurting or suffering, who feel alone and abandoned.  The events of this morning reminded me of them as well.

I will be staying in Logan until the afternoon of the 21st.  I wasn't excited about that until now--mostly because my roommates are going to be gone next week as well as most other college-going people AND because Christmas festivities will be taking place at home.  I am not one who loves to be alone:)  But I realize that this is an amazing opportunity to seek out opportunities to serve and love others.  I plan to be finished with Christmas shopping and wrapping by tomorrow evening.  I work every day next week but I plan on being finished by 12:30 so that I can use the rest of my time to serve.  I am so excited!  However, I need to enlist your help.  I need help in finding the people that need help.  I would love to know of any families or widows or students or elderly couples or anyone else that I could do something for.  Now, my financial abilities to help are not so grand but I do have time and a willingness to do whatever I can.  So here are a few things that I thought that I could offer:

  • Preparing dinner-I could drop dinner off to someone or a family anonymously or I could share a meal with them.  
  • Cleaning-I really do love to clean.  I will clean/organize/scour anything!  Seriously, I love it.  
  • Shopping-I can help with any shopping needs-as long as you are very, VERY specific.
  • Wrapping-I love to make presents look pretty and it is something that I could do for hours.
  • Family Home Evening-I would love to help prepare and put on a Christmas-focused FHE.  It would make me happy because I would feel like a missionary again.  
  • Babysitting-I would love to help watch children if there is a need at this Christmas season.
  • Brainstorming-Are you having a hard time coming up with a gift idea?  Two brains are better than one.
  • Snow Shoveling-Yes, I love manual labor.  
  • Neighbor Gifting-I am really good at the whole "drop and run" thing.  
  • Christmas Treats-I can prepare them for you or with you.
  • Decorating-I really enjoy decorating-A LOT.
  • Visiting-I can visit and talk and listen for hours.  I would love to visit you or anyone who would be up for it.
Okay, those are a few ideas off of the top of my head.  If you think of anything-seriously ANYTHING-else I would do it.  I am also open to doing any of these things as a team:)  I would actually really love that and it would be all the more enjoyable.  If you have thought about how you would love to do something for someone else this Christmas season but it seems a little big for you to do on your own, please, PLEASE let me assist you.  I feel like I am a missionary again begging others to let me serve them.  I will keep begging:)  This would be the greatest Christmas gift that you could give to me.  Now, Cache Valley residents, I really need your help.  I am only really aware of students-I have hardly any connections to families or the elderly.  Please let me know if there is anyone in your ward or area that I could serve:)  The rest of you, if you have family or friends that live in this area, please pass that info on.  I would really appreciate it!  AND if I can serve or spend time with you, what a blessing that would be!  I want to make this a memorable week.  Christmas time to me is spending time with those that I love:)

No comments:

Post a Comment