Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Best Friends

I've just noticed in my classroom that kids are starting to refer to others as 'best friends'.  To be quite honest, I am not very fond of that term.  I actually cringe when I hear it.  Maybe it is because I have never considered another person to be my best friend.  I have many really wonderful and dear friends, not just one best friend.  There are the friends that I love to talk to, the friends that I love to craft with, the friends that always make me laugh, the friends that are amazing listeners-and there are friends that fill all of those shoes.  All of my friends are my  best friends-they truly are the best.  I am so blessed to be surrounded by the best of the best-and if you are reading this, it includes you.  You are one of my best friends.  Thank you for  the friend that you are.  

When I was four my grandparents moved into our home for a few months while they were waiting to get into their own home in the area.  It was a great blessing for my whole family since my mom had just had the twins and needed the extra help.  It was especially a blessing for me because I always had someone to play with while my mom was taking care of the babies.  At that time, my grandpa became one of those best friends.  Oh my goodness, he could make me laugh!  He was such a tease.  He was so good at playing games and spending time with me.  He made me feel like a princess.  When they moved into their home it was quite the adjustment for me.  I remember one day I was bored (seriously, I can't even imagine what it would be like to feel bored again) and complaining to my mom that I wanted someone to play with.  She listed off a number of my friends and I explained to her that I wanted to play with 'someone fun-like grandpa!' He taught me what a true friend is.  He is still one of my dearest friends and he is still such a tease.  He is humble and a hard worker.  He always puts others first.  He can do absolutely anything-ANYTHING.  He has had a lot of challenges in his life and has always remained positive.  His testimony of the gospel is unwavering.  I sure love him and I am thankful that he has played such a big role in my life.  Here are a few pictures of me and him when I was younger:
Me, grandpa, and Carli at the Lion House

Me and grandpa at a family Christmas party
I sure love him!

No comments:

Post a Comment