Sunday, October 14, 2012

Marriage

This may actually be the first and last time that I talk about marriage in a blog post (until I am actually getting married:)).  I have never been one to be obsessed about marriage and when it was going to happen for me-I just figured that it would happen when it happens.  I have never picked out my own wedding colors or decided who my bridesmaids would be or what temple I would get married in or what time of year-it's all about the timing.  However, because of my age and stage in life others are all of a sudden so concerned with the M word-no, not when they will get married but when I will!  Now, I have to be honest and say that I hope to get married one day-possibly even sooner than later.  I have met and gone on dates with plenty of fantastic guys (and a few not-so-fantastic ones) but I haven't fallen head over heels for any of them.  So now I have about 7 blind dates in the works.  People are really concerned that I am 24 and not married!  Oh, blind dating.  I just have to keep reminding myself that 3 out of 4 of my married siblings met on blind dates.  There is one person in my family who is sure of who I will marry.  The other day my Mom was babysitting my 4 year-old nephew Lincoln.  He was sitting on the floor in her room playing a game on the iPad while she was doing her hair.  She said, "Linc, we have to find someone for Lauren to marry."  He responded matter-of-factly without even looking up from the iPad, "Me."  She explained to him that I would probably need someone older than he is but he explained in return, "When I turn 16 then I will be big and she can marry me."  If it were only that easy!  I love the kid.  Anyway, I may or may not keep you posted on the blind dates-just depends on how they go!

In the meantime I am working on filling my time with good things.  I attended a valley-wide fireside at the Spectrum.  Elder Schweitzer, a member of the seventy, spoke to us.  He focused on developing self-discipline.  Throughout his talk I received several little promptings of things that I can be doing in my life right now to be more self-disciplined.  One thing is to spend more time serving.  I really feel an urgency to serve and spend as much time possible with my Grandma and Grandpa B.  A prompting came to me during the General Relief Society Meeting to do a little project for them.  I wrote down all of the names of their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.  There are 90 of us all together.
I am going to make up a little package to send to each household in the family.  It will include a blank card and envelope with the address of my grandparents for each family member.  It will also have a calendar of when they need to write and send a card to my grandparents.  Starting November 1, my grandparents should receive a letter every day, except Sunday, for the next 3 months.  They love hearing from all of their family members and this is one simple way that we can involve everyone.  My goal is to get everything prepared and sent out by the end of the week.  I am going to have to push it because all that I have done up to this point is written down names and gathered addresses.  I just hope that it will allow my grandparents to feel and know that we love them!  I am thankful for the prompting that I received and that I have the time right now to follow through with it!

Well, that's all for tonight folks.  Since I played too much and worked to little this weekend my Monday will be starting at 4:30 am so it is time to hit the hay.  Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Blind dates totally work!! Kyle was my third blind date in one week, so I gave him little thought and effort.. but he's the one that stuck. Please update your blog on your dates.. if only for a laugh, right?! :)

    Cute idea for your grandparents!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't Elder Schweitzer's talk great? I soaked it all up like a sponge! I think you have got the right idea in regards to the 'm' word. Good luck with the blind dates! :)

    ReplyDelete