Sunday, July 22, 2012

Toespraken

Yes, today was the third time that I have given a talk in the last 2 1/2 months.  It is always a little stressful and scary to give a talk, but I think it is much more of a blessing!  I have loved having something specific to study for and to think about all day long.  The first talk that I gave was in the Sunday session of Stake Conference about a week after I moved back home.  When the counselor in the Stake Presidency called me in to give me the assignment he told me that I could choose my topic but that he wanted to think about something in my personal life that I could share.  I prayed so hard to know what to say and to be led by the Spirit.  Although I was hesitant to do so, I decided to talk about my diagnosis and struggle with Mixed Connective Tissue Disease.  I focused on how trials and adversity in our lives are really a manifestation of God's love because they allow us to grow and become more like Him.  Since I do not talk to people very openly about the whole thing, I didn't really know what to say.  But I did my best in preparing and prayed that my words would be able to touch at least one of the hundreds of people there.  After the meeting I was talking with my family and a few ward members when a lady came up to me.  With her eyes filled with tears, she thanked me for the words I had spoken and how much she needed to hear them.  She proceeded to tell me that her daughter served a mission.  About a year into her mission she started to have really bad allergies.  Her mission president, who was a doctor, prescribed 7 rounds of antibiotics in a period of only 3 months.  The antibiotics ate up her insides and urine started leaking into all parts of her body making her deathly ill.  She came home very sick and was admitted to the hospital with many physical as well as emotional problems.  She has undergone surgery after surgery and now, 13 years later, she is still in the psychiatric ward at LDS hospital.  I could not believe all that her daughter had gone through and was continuing to go through!  The woman told me that my experiences gave her hope that her daughter would one day be able to see the good and blessings amidst all of her trials.  She asked for my number so she could contact me just to talk when things were rough.  I felt so inadequate to be able to help and comfort her but I realized then that the Lord was helping me and strengthening me to be an instrument in His hands.  I was very humbled and thankful for that experience.

My second talk was on Mother's Day.  I was so excited to have the opportunity to speak about mothers, especially my own mother.  I could brag about her all day because she, to me, is perfect in every way!

Today I gave my third talk with a high councilman in another ward.  I was asked to speak on pioneers. It was so wonderful to be able to reflect on what the pioneers mean to me and what I should be doing to become more like them and, ultimately, more like the Savior.  I am looking forward to the 24th of July and really turning my thoughts to my forefathers.

It has been a great blessing for me to be able to give talks.  I have felt the Spirit and my scripture studies have been more focused and meaningful.  I love that Heavenly Father knows just what to give us when we need it most!

1 comment: