Sunday, July 8, 2012

Alone

Today was a day that I have looked forward to for a long time.  President and Sister Brubaker, my mission president and his wife, returned from their mission and gave their reports in church today.  It was so exciting to see them again, as well as many missionaries that I served with.  It was one big reunion!  I was really touched by Sister Brubaker's talk.  She used part of a verse in 1 Samuel 7 as the basis for her talk:
"...prepare your hearts unto the Lord..."
It was that simple and it touched me so deeply.  I don't know what my problem has been lately.  I am surrounded by good people and I am so blessed in my life, but sometimes I just feel alone.  I am very overwhelmed with future plans, even though they are the things I have always dreamed of.  My health is a little shaky right now but I don't want to accept it.  There are still many things that I am unsure of.  I think that we all feel that way at times and I think it can be a wonderful learning experience.  I know that I need to view what I am going through right now as a learning experience, a time to strengthen my testimony of the restored gospel and  prepare my heart unto the Lord.  I think that one of the most wonderful aspects of the gospel is the blessing of being able to repent or change.  I need to engage more in that process.  I need to study my scriptures more diligently.  I need to serve others more and with complete sincerity.  I need to take more time to talk to my Heavenly Father in prayer.  I need to be more Christlike in the things that I do and say.  I need to live worthy of having the Spirit with me and then follow promptings that I receive immediately.  Tonight I set some goals to be able to prepare my heart.  I also found this quote that reminded me that I am never alone because the Savior is always near me, He is always near each of us:
But Jesus held on.  He pressed on.  The goodness in Him allowed faith to triumph even in a state of complete anguish.  The trust He lived by told Him in spite of His feelings that divine compassion is never absent, that God is always faithful, that He never flees nor fails us.  When the uttermost farthing had been paid, when Christ's determination to be faithful was as obvious as it was utterly invincible, finally and mercifully, it was finished.  Against all odds and with none to help or uphold Him, Jesus of Nazareth, the living Son of the living God, restored physical life where death had held sway and brought joyful, spiritual redemption out of sin, hellish darkness, and despair.  With faith in the God He knew was there, He could say in triumph, 'Father, into thy hands I commend my Spirit'...Brothers and Sisters, one of the great consolations...is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so.  His solitary journey brought great company for our little version of that path--the merciful care of our Father in Heaven, the unfailing companionship of this Beloved Son, the consummate gift of the Holy Ghost, angels in heaven, family members on both sides of the veil, prophets, apostles, teachers, leaders, friends.  All of these and more have been given as companions for our mortal journey because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the Restoration of His gospel.  Trumpeted from the summit of Calvary is truth that we will never be left alone or unaided, even if sometimes we may feel that we are.  Truly the Redeemer of us all said: 'I will not leave you comfortless: [My Father and I] will come to you [and abide with you].'
That quote was given by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland in the April 2010 General Conference.  He said it perfectly.  I know that Christ lives and that we are never alone.  I am so thankful for that knowledge and for His gospel.  Remember, you are never alone either.  




No comments:

Post a Comment